|2021 Call for PhD Fellowships||Application And Selection Process|
|Eligibility Criteria||Recently Finished PhDs|
As an Excellence Research Center for Materials, Applications and Nanostructures, BCMaterials works in the forefront of the main scientific and technological challenges of current society. We work on the new generation of materials and apply them into (multi)functional solutions and devices for the benefit of society.
Further, our commitment with society also focus on the formation of the new generation of great scientists, together with our colleagues and partners from the UPV/EHU.
In this scope, BCMaterials offers PhD Fellowships to perform research in areas as diverse and challenging as materials for sensors and actuators, which are critical for the internet of Things and Industry 4.0; materials for advanced biological and biomedical applications; materials for energy (both generation and storage) or materials for environmental monitoring and remediation.
Thus, PhD Fellows will integrate highly multidisciplinary Research Areas, led by highly qualified scientist, to develop:
- Materials for Advanced Manufacturing and Technologies in which BCMaterials works on the development of smart and multifunctional materials with improved integration through advanced manufacturing processes, such as printing technologies. Self-sensing, self- cleaning and self-repairing materials are being developed and integrated into functional prototypes, among others.
- Materials for Biomedicine, related to nanoparticle based biomedicine, from hyperthermia to point of care microdevices, as well as on the incorporation of active scaffolds and microenvironments for tissue regeneration.
- Materials for Energy, focussing on the conversion between solar energy and chemical energy in applications such as perovskite based solar cells; on the development of energy harvesting systems for self-power and wearable sensors, and in materials for Li and Na- batteries, as well as for printable batteries.
- Materials for Environment, focussing on materials for the three main issues that must be solved in the near future: environmental friendlier materials technologies (circular economy), sensors for environmental monitoring and remediation of contaminated scenarios.
Training in advanced materials is a requisite for the advance of industries with a large technological basis. In this context, the BCMaterials also offers important collaborations with local and International Industries and Technology Centers in Materials.
2021 Call for PhD Fellowships
- Opening: 15 May 2021
- Deadline: 30 June 2021
- Resolution: 31 July 2021
The 2021 PhD Fellowships Call has now been launched to provide predoctoral students in Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science, Engineering, Energy, Biology or Environmental Science the opportunity to develop their PhD thesis in the areas of advanced multifunctional materials.
We offer up to 6 contracts to predoctoral students for the PhD thesis to be done at BCMaterials.
To guarantee the development of the research project in the best conditions, BCMaterials will offer excellent scientific training, a dedicated supervision, regular scientific seminars and colloquia, as well as access to high-level laboratory facilities.
We are looking for highly motivated predoctoral researchers who are interested in pursuing a doctoral degree at our institution. BCMaterials presently has 27 Ph.D. students, who conduct their research in our international environment.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science, Engineering, Energy, Biology or Environmental Science.
- Candidates should have a good verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Capacity for teamwork in an interdisciplinary and international environment.
- Self-motivation and willingness to perform independent research.
- Creativity in problem solving.
Application And Selection Process
- Applicants have to fill the application form at the end of this page and must include their CV, academic records and motivation and reference letters. On motivation letter, it must be referred the principal Research Area on which applicant is interested.
- Applications will be accepted until 30 June 2021.
- The selection process will start right after this deadline and the positions will be awarded on a competitive basis taking into consideration the student’s academic record as well as the rest of the information provided.
- The resolution will be communicated to the selected candidates by 31 July 2021.
Recently finished PhDs
CRISTIAN MENDES FELIPE - "Multifunctional Photocurable Advanced Materials for Electronics and Sensing Applications"
NÉLSON JOSÉ FERNANDES CASTRO - "Design, Construction and Validation of a New Generations of Bioreactors for Tissue Engineering Applications"
ANDER REIZABAL LOPEZ-PARA - "Tailoring Bombyx mori Silk as Multifunctional Material for Advanced Applications"
JIVAGO SERRADO GOMES AGUIAR NUNES - "Polymer based sensors fabricated by printing technologies"
SYLVIE RIBEIRO - "Tailoring electroactive polymer nanocomposites for novel muscle tissue engineering applications"
PAULA GONZÁLEZ SAIZ - "Environmental sensors based on geometrically modified magnetoelastic resonators functionalized with MOFs"
URIBARRI GOIKURIA - "Jatorri naturaleko polimeroetan oinarritutako nanokonpositeen garapena / Natural origin polymer-based nanocomposite development"
AIZETI BURGOA BEITIA - "Design and development of high-performance thermoplastic vulcanizates with vibration damping properties"
YASSINE RAOUI - "Computational Design of Organic-Inorganic perovskite solar cells through drift-diffusion simulation and processes fabrication"
PATRICK HIRSCHLE - "Controlling Functionalization and Morphology of MOF Particles – employing Novel Characterization Techniques"
IRATI RODRIGO - "High field, high frequency and temperature adjustable AC magnetometer for magnetic hyperthermia characterization"
Laura Bravo García - “Nuevas arquitecturas de MOFs y supraMOFs, basadas en la interaccion de complejos de cobre con ligandos carboxilato o polioxoaniones”
Aritza Wain Martin - “Design and development of solid oxide fuel cells”
Juliana Oliveira - Radiation detectors based on printing technologies
Abbas AL-Rjoub - “Design, fabrication, characterization and aging studies of solar selective absorber surfaces”
Pérez Checa, Anabel - "Development of new Ni-Mn-Ga based high temperature shape memory alloys"
Schonhobel Sánchez, Ana María - "The Sm-Fe- V based 1:12 permanent magnets"
BRAVO GARCIA, LAURA - Nuevas arquitecturas de MOSFs y supraMOFs, basadas en la interacción de complejos de cobre con ligandos carboxilato o polioxoaniones.
MARTIN CID, ANDRES - Development of new high anisotropy phases for permanent magnet applications.
BRAVO IMAZ, IÑAKI - Acquisition and processing of new data sources for improved condition monitoring of mechanical systems
MORA CUADRADO, BEATRIZ - Patterned magnetic nanostructures for biomedical applications
SAGASTI SEDANO, ARIANE - Functionalized magnetoelastic resonant platforms for chemical and biological detection purposes
Pedro Martins - “New generation of photocatalytic nanocomposites: production, characterization and environmental application”
Nuria García - "Development and Applications of Semicrystalline Polymers: From Shape Memory to Self-Healing Materials"
Xabier Lasheras - "Developing ferrite based nanocompounds for biomedical applications"
Jagoba Martín - "Hybrid polyoxometalates: synthesis, crystal structures, thermostructural behavior and anchoring to tailored polymeric surfaces"
Maite Goiriena - "Magnetic vortex nanodiscs for cancer cell destruction"
Christian Omar Aguilar - “Propiedades mecánicas y calóricas de cintas elaboradas por solidificación rápida de aleaciones ferromagnéticas con memoria de forma base Niquel”
Mª Blanca Valle - "Magnetic Scaffolds for biomedical applications"
Daniela Correia - “Three dimensional scaffolds based on electroactive polymers for tissue engineering applications”
Mariana Marques - “Development of multifunctional coatings deposited on polymers based sensors for biomedical applications”
Francisco Llano Tomé - “Host-guest chemistry of solid coordination frameworks (SCFs) based on Cu(II)-pyridine ligands
Virginia Sáenz de Viteri Gimeno - “Development of protective coatings to improve the Ti6Al4V alloy behavior in orthopedic applications”
Andoni Lasheras Aransay - ”Magnetoelectric metallic glass/polymer laminated composites: from fabrication to applications”
Cristina Cerrillo Redondo - “Towards the standardization of nanoecotoxicity testing: Selection of environmentally relevant methods”
Alberto Maceiras - “Polyimides for piezoelectric materials, magnetoelectric nanocomposites and battery separators”
Estíbaliz Aranzabe Basterrechea - “Desarrollo de Pigmentos Cerámicos Multifuncionales Orientados a la Mejora de la Eficiencia Energética en Edificación”
Eneko Garaio - ”Development of experimental techniques for magnetic hyperthermia therapy”
Aroa Morán - “Development of contact coatings for SOFC”
Eneko Axpe - “Uncovering the role of free volume in biomaterials and biological matter”
Oihane Kistiñe Arriortua - “Nanopartículas de PD, PDfe y fe3o4 ; Agentes Inductores de Hipertermia Magnética”
Arkaitz Fidalgo - “MOFs basados en metaloporfirinas: diseño estructural orientado a la biomimetización de sus propiedades naturales”
Ivan Rodriguez-Aseguinolaza - “Thin Films of Ferromagnetic Shape Memory Alloys”
Beñat Artetxe - “Systematic studies on 3d- and 4f-metal containing polyoxometalates suitable for organic derivatization”
Aroa Pache - “Hybrid compounds based on the interaction between heteropolyoxotungstates and copper(II) complexes of N,O-chelating ligands”
Paula serras - “High voltage cathodes for Na-ION batteries: Na3V2O2x(PO4)2F3-2X system”
Idoia Castellanos - Preparación y caracterización de nanopartículas de Pd, PdFe y Fe3O4; potenciales agentes inductores de hipertermia magnética.
Amaia Iturrospe - Síntesis, caracterización química y estudio estructural de sistemas basados en heteropolianiones de wolframio y silicio o germanio y
complejos de cobre con ligandos N4 tetradentados.
Nagore Pérez - Nanopartículos metálicas biocompatibilizadas con surfactantes poliméricos
Eduardo Fernández - Thin film magnetoimpedance microstuctures for sensing applications
Iñigo Fernández - Síntesis y caracterización de nuevos copolímeros amino-sintético.