Born and brought up in India, studied Materials Chemistry at Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi (India) and finished his Ph.D. (2006) from National Physical laboratory in the field of Materials chemistry. Subsequently he moved to the Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research, as Alexander von Humboldt Fellow to work on surface and interface studies of electrodeposited layers in ionic liquids by scanning probe microscopy. He was a regular visitor at École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne, where he developed nanoporous films for metal-free electro-catalysis and new redox shuttle. In 2011 he accepted the offer as program head of new concept in photovoltaics and advanced materials and was the strategic hire for the Abengoa Research, a corporate research center of multinational energy based conglomerate Abengoa. He is the recipient of numerous awards and fellowships, and recently his work was endorsed by European research council consolidator grant (2016). He is the inventor of 7 patents, his work has been summarized in >100 articles, along with many popular science artilces, and the publications list reflects his diverse field of interest in the domain of physical chemistry, nanotechnology and materials science. In summer 2017, he accepted the call from Ikerbasque to work as senior professor at Basque center for materials, applications and Nanostructures.
Interests and objectives:
His research targets are advanced materials development for energy conversion, conservation and storage materials application.
• European Research Council, Consolidator grant 2016 (2017-2022)
• Torres Quevedo grant, Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness, Spain (2013-2016)
• Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship (2008) by Humboldt Foundation Germany
• Research Associateship from Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, Govt. of India.
• Department of Science and Technology(India)–DFG (Germany) award for 56th Meeting of Nobel Laureates and Young Researcher in Lindau, Germany, 2006.
• Best Paper award (BPA-2004) in the area of Physical Sciences by the governing body of “MAAS’’ India.”
• Senior Research Fellowship from Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, Govt. of India.