BCMaterials is searching for a motivated Predoctoral Researcher for one year (extensible) research and development in Magnetorheological fluids. The research program consists in the synthesis and characterization of magnetic nanoparticles (MNP) for application in magnetic fluids. The first objective of this research will be the development of novel MNP with high magnetization in the nanometric range. The second objective would be the formulation of magnetorheological fluids with great stability and high performance for dampers tuned by magnetic field.
- Chemical and Physical synthesis of nanoparticles
- Chemical, structural (X-ray, Mossbauer) and morphological characterization (TEM, DLS)
- Magnetic characterization (VSM, FMR, etc.)
- Magnetorheological characterization and modelling
- MSc in Physics, Chemistry or Materials Science
- Background in experimental research of materials.
- Experience in the use of different equipment and data treatment.
- A team player, who can collaborate with international research groups.
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English.
Application: Send a motivation letter, CV and up to two recommendation letters to email@example.com
Research and development of next generation high performance solar cells is paramount for our societal needs. The research aim is to go beyond silicon technology, and develop cost effective solar technology to address climate change issue. The subject is truly multidisciplinary and requires expertise from different disciplines including physics, chemistry, materials science and engineering both in theory and experiment. MOLEMAT (Molecularly Engineered Materials and process for Perovskite solar cell technology) is a EU funded, excellence research project (ERC) aiming to develop a new technology for solar cells which is beyond silicon. Compositional engineering of light harvesting materials i.e. organo halide perovskites, followed by experimental screening of novel hole transport materials which can be used for the development of high performance perovskite solar cells.
The proposed project is planned to be performed at Basque Center for Materials, applications and nanostructures (BCMaterials) which is affiliated to Universidad del País Vasco (Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea; UPV/EHU). The Basque Center for Materials, applications and nanostructures (BCMaterials) is a strategic initiative of Ikerbasque, the Basque Foundation for Science, and the University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU), one of the largest Spanish Universities. It was created in 2012 as an autonomous research center directed to improve the level and productivity of the existing research groups in Materials in Biscay. It belongs to the Basque excellence research centers (BERC) network, and covers all aspects of research in Functional Materials with advanced Electric, Magnetic and Optical properties; from basic aspects to applications in energy and sensors. BCMaterials brings together researchers from leading groups in Magnetic Materials, Inorganic Materials, Polymers and Crystallography, awarded as Excellence Research Groups by the Basque Government Department of Education. Just in short span of time BCMaterials has achieved very high result dissemination and have pioneered the use of large research facilities in the Basque Country.
Three / four doctorate candidates are foreseen to be recruited, in the field of synthetic chemistry, materials science/chemistry, device physics and process engineering. The project will mainly build on designing new materials and its integration in perovskite solar cells fabrication. The work will be carried out at BCMaterials and will enjoy collaboration with world leading research group, moreover short stays at collaborative partners will also be supported in order to obtain European Ph.D degree for hire researchers. For obtaining the Ph.D degree, the candidate has to full fill the requirements of “PhD program in Materials Science and Technology”, a modern program of the University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU) which is promoted by faculty members of several Departments (Chemistry, Physics, Geology,…) of the Faculty of Science and Technology. The starting date is as soon as possible, competitive salary with great opportunity for progress in scientific career and learning will be provided. Interview will be conducted soon after the deadline.
Work Programme / Duties / Responsibilities
A full-time Ph.D position, exists for a researcher within the research domain of third generation solar cells in a cutting edge research group at BCMaterials. BCMaterials is an independent research centre, active in functional materials located near Bilbao in the Basque Country, north of Spain.
The doctorate fellow will be responsible for laboratory experiments, fulfilling the project objectives, result dissemination (writing scientific articles & congress attendance) and successful complementation of Ph.D degree. For the successful candidate, the position represents an excellent opportunity to develop both collaborative and personal scientific research career, exploiting the capabilities of advanced functional materials, materials chemistry, photovoltaics and energy related research.
Contacts and Communication
The successful candidate will interact with other researchers in the group, as well as with collaborative partners. Visits to other collaborative organizations and presentation of scientific work at conferences will be encouraged.
Personal Skills and Attributes The position requires
- Master degree in Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical engineering, Nanoscience, Physics
- A very high level of motivation and independent thinking abilities.
- Previous research experience in materials science / chemistry, chemical synthesis or device fabrication will be an asset and will be given preference.
- Result presentations and publications record
- Proficiency in English, good interpersonal, presentation skills and able to meet the deadline are also required.
Contact Apply by sending a motivation letter and your CV (in English) including contact details for 2 referees to: firstname.lastname@example.org
BCMaterials is searching for motivated and experienced Instrumentation Engineer for one year (with possible renewal) to take care of instrumentation for physical synthesis of materials (including thin film deposition) and characterization, in the new premises of BCMaterials at the Science Park of Leioa, Campus of the University of the Basque Country. The main task will be the design and organization, during 2018, of the clean room and instrumentation wherein, as well as the management of the existing equipment for induction melting, melt spinning, single crystal and thin film growth and processing, as well as structural, mechanical, electric, magnetic and optical characterization of materials. This will include the maintenance of the equipment, the organization of time distribution tables and the survey of the actual use. Will also advise and support researchers in developing codes for automatic operation of experiments and data acquisition and treatment. He or she will establish the organization of the researchers’ access of all these facilities and the training of the users prior to the utilization. Finally, he (she) will be responsible of the selection and purchase of new equipment, when possible.
Conditions: The selected candidate will have Responsibility over the operation, maintenance and correct use of the following activity or equipment:
- Induction melting, melt spinning and single crystal growth
- Thin film deposition by sputtering and lithography
- Chemical (EDX) and structural (SEM, X-ray) characterization of materials
- Physical (thermal, electric, magnetic and optical) characterization instruments and procedures
Qualification and skill requirements: The successful candidate must have
- A PhD in Condense Matter Physics, Materials Science or Engineering
- Strong background in experimental research of materials.
- Experience in the use of different experimental instruments and data treatment.
- Experience in clean room operation is highly desired.
- A team player, which can collaborate with internal and external research groups.
- Capacity for contacting and collaboration with international partners
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English
Send a motivation letter, CV with experience and publications and two references to email@example.com
BCMaterials has reached a mature status after 5 years operation, and wishes to promote internally those researchers, which have been present in most of his life and have contributed to the excellence of the center.
With this aim, BCMaterials is issuing a position of Experienced Researcher in Materials Science and Technology, open to those with 4 years carrying out postdoctoral research with BCMaterials. The selected researcher will have an undefined contract with autonomy to present his(her) own research projects and establish a research team (with internal or external funding).
Requirements: To apply, the candidate must show:
- An ongoing postdoctoral research contract with BCMaterials
- A continued research activity with BCMaterials that will make a total of 4 years by June 2018
- Strong commitment to BCMaterials research lines and objectives.
- Outstanding achievements during his (her) research career within BCMaterials.
- Be a team player, which has collaborated with internal and external research groups.
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English.
How to apply: Send the following documents to <firstname.lastname@example.org
- A motivation letter
- CV with experience and publications in the field of Materials Science and Technology
- Annual activity reports along his (her) stay at BCMaterials (including that of 2017)
- A research project for three years duration, to develop at BCMaterials (maximum length: 5 DINA4 pages, font size 11)
- Two references external to BCMaterials