“BCMaterials is an autonomous research center that covers all aspects of research in Functional Materials with advanced Electric, Magnetic and Optical properties; from basic aspects to applications. Special activity is devoted to thin films materials and characterization techniques involving Large International Facilities, like neutron and synchrotron radiation sources.”
José Manuel Barandiarán
BCMaterials was launched in June 2012 by Ikerbasque, the Basque Foundation for Science and the University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU) as a research center for Materials, Applications and Nanostructures. The center is included in the BERC’s (Basque excellence Research Centers) network.
BCMaterials’ mission – Basque Center for Materials, Applications and Nanostructures – is to develop high-quality interdisciplinary research in functional and active Materials with advanced Mechanical, Thermal, Electric, Magnetic and Optical properties; from basic to applied. Materials in thin film form and characterization techniques involving Large International Facilities, such as neutron and synchrotron radiation sources, will be essential.
In order to achieve the mission outlined above, BCMaterials works towards the following challenges:
- To work in close collaboration with research groups in Materials Science at the University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU) in Biscay, promoting worldwide their activity in this field.
- To carry out high-level post-graduate training in new materials.
- To promote interdisciplinary collaboration with leading centers as the driving force behind major scientific and technological advances.
BCMaterials is committed to be an international reference center for research in the area of functional & active materials and nanomaterials. The quality of publications in conjunction with the image and prestige, based on research excellence, staff satisfaction and social responsibility, will endorse international recognition.
Reference values assumed by BCMaterials are:
- Commitment to the Principles of Excellence.
- Transparency, effectiveness and efficiency in resource management.
- Satisfaction and development of researchers and other staff through the “European Charter for Researchers”.
- Quest for maximum return to the society and contribution to sustainability.
BCMaterials will be located in the future Science Park of Leioa, within the Campus of the University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU). Currently, however, the center is located in the Biscay Science and Technology Park.
Be sociable, share!